Thursday, October 27, 2011

sew, mama, sew!

Sewing is a handy skill to have. My mom knows the basics, enough to make some small projects. She signed me up for lessons at Beverly's when I was younger and I ended up making a drawstring bag and I think some shorts or something. I didn't keep up with it, but I remember learning a little. Well, for the past few years, my mom and I have had conversations about getting a new machine and getting to work on some easy projects for our homes and the kids. Then, my dad stepped in. He decided that he could also benefit from such an arrangement and they talked it over. My dad bought me a new machine for my birthday and my mom bought me all the sewing accessories a girl might need.

I kept the box laying around for a few months, gathering dust, but also quietly encouraging me to think more and more of all the things I could be doing. When I ripped a shirt, I looked at the box. When I started thinking about curtains and new pillows for my living room, I think I moved the box to a more central location. I did this because I was now lazily planning on eventually opening it up and to see if I could figure the thing out. I couldn't. Not with having about 15 years pass between my first sewing lessons and this new endeavor. I tried following the quick start guide, (I'm usually really good with any sort of set-up on electronics) but this machine is nothing like what I had used in my youth. My dad bought me the Brother Sew Advance Sew Affordable machine. I decided I needed someone to help me and maybe even to make sure I didn't break the contraption.

When looking around for anything, like most of you, I just google it. So, I googled Bakersfield sewing lessons. Up came a few different things, but nothing caught my eye. I started calling around, but sitting in a class with other people didn't seem so appealing. Then came Queen's Knight Seven, lessons by Judi Carrejo, out of Jo-ann Fabric and Craft stores. I checked out her website and I knew this would be perfect for my needs.

So far, I have taken four lessons and I already have the confidence to at least attempt to start some of my own projects. With her help, I completed two projects (pictured below). Let me just say, she is awesome. She is skilled and experienced. She makes so many of her own things and they look amazing. She taught me how to use my own machine and so many basic techniques she taught by leading me through the projects of my choosing. Also, I should add that she is a delight to hang out with during the lessons. We are cracking jokes the entire time, and she laughs at all my jokes (bonus for me). She is one cool lady. I would recommend her for anyone who is interested in taking lessons.

Because of my newly acquired skills, I not only completed the projects I chose below, but I am making my daughters' their Halloween costumes this year, all on my own, in the comfort of my own home. I'm so happy, and the looks on their faces when they see what their mama has made is worth so much more than the time, money and effort I put into learning as much as I can.



Skittles the Cat
Details, details.

It is a pretty big cat/pillow/riding apparatus.


Luci's Blanket
I told her mean moms don't make blankets like this.

It is a big comfy, super soft, lined in satin blanket of looooove.

32 comments:

  1. I am a technical writer based at Tampa, USA and I have been writing blogs on many technical products that have impressed me so far. When it comes to streaming, I have explored a lot of devices. But I have never come across a product like Roku. It is fabulous and more dynamic in design. The shape resembles a Pendrive yet it could bring you loads of Entertainment. The features of the Roku player are pretty decent and especially the enhanced voice search is what impressed me the most. The search provides me almost every movie that I like
    My blogs:

    Roku.com/link
    Roku.com/link create account
    Roku.com/link activate account
    Roku.com/link account
    Roku.com/link activate
    Roku.com/link activation
    Roku.com/link enter code
    Roku.com/link setup
    Roku.com/link code
    activate Roku.com/link
    www.Roku.com/link
    Roku com link
    Roku com link create account
    Roku com link activate account
    Roku com link code
    Roku com link enter code
    Roku com link activate code
    Roku com link account
    Roku com link activate
    Roku com link activation
    Roku com link setup
    activate Roku com link
    activate Roku com link code

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are truly impressive ideas in concerning post. Garmin Express is a desktop application designed for managing and updating your devices.
    https://garminexpress.global

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post. I learn something new and challenging on sites. Kaspersky Login is service provider for software related issues in desktops, laptops, devices, and peripherals.
    https://kasperskylogin.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. How to activate the Roku device will be the question on your head after you have got one for yourself. Don’t worry as it just takes only a few minutes to complete the activation. Launch the device and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup. After this, you will find an activation code on the screen, note it down. Now visit roku.com/link in a browser using a laptop or a smartphone. Enter the activation code over the blank given and click on submit. Once the code matches, you will get a popup indication of the successful linking of the account.
    For further assistance regarding Roku Activation Code , Checkout my website.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for a wonderful share. Your blog has proved your hard work and experience you have got in this field. Brilliant. i love it reading. If you are unable to solve the issue or for any query related to your HP product feel free to contact HP printer troubleshooting will be happy to assist you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really Wonderful blog. Thanks for sharing such valuable information with us. I loved to read this post. This is really helpful. Please keep going with such good blog. Know about Garmin Express Update.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We will help you with the steps and help you understand how this error can be resolved, and you can access and watch FuboTV on your streaming device. Firstly, there are two options to sign-in or login on FuboTV. Activate your FuboTV by clicking on fubo.tv/connect. We are available 24x7!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Watch FuboTv on your device to sign in or create a new Fubo account using email and password. FuboTv is a premium online streaming services used at fubotv Connect.It gives users access to a wide range of services like live broadcasting, watches unlimited videos online, select more then 150 channels. Viewers can watch live sports for 7 days free trail membership. fubo.tv/Connect

    ReplyDelete
  9. Connect FuboTv streaming service into your 4K HDTV and stream your favorite movies, and sports directly from the Internet. Nowadays, cord-cutting is a becoming a trend. As per the recent survey conducted by Research Firm e-Marketer, approximately 43 million Americans have already cut the cord and enjoy the latest FuboTv streaming service. fubotv/Connect

    ReplyDelete
  10. It s a very useful page. Thank you. a57da6777305050ef4ef4def2a580a03
    altindag
    bozkurt
    kayseri
    seydikemer
    efeler
    cesme
    akcakent
    mus
    milas

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on your article, it was very helpful and successful. e2e2ed9ca460c757c3603d0c291c6745
    sms onay
    numara onay
    website kurma

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for your explanation, very good content. be02dfb950190c22aeb5f48512bba7fc
    define dedektörü

    ReplyDelete