Friday, October 14, 2011

babywearing 101

In honor of International Babywearing Week, I thought I could talk about a part of my parenting style that I love, love, love. Babywearing! Just how does one wear a baby, one might ask. Well, first you find the zipper for the removal of their baby skin and... okay, I'm kidding. It's simple, really. Babywearing International, defines it as "holding or carrying a baby or young child using a cloth baby carrier". But, I will say there is much more to it. It's the benefits that make it so wonderful for me. What better way to offer comfort to your baby than wrapping them in a tight cloth held close to your body? For newborns, it is the position they have been in for many months of a pregnancy. They feel comfortable and secure. Trust me, a lot of newborns have emailed me about just how much they love it and wish their parents would wear them more. That's not true either, but I am positive that if they had the manual dexterity and communication skills to execute such a task, my inbox would be flooded.

Who can wear their baby? Anyone can wear a baby, as long as they can find a baby to wear. Please ask permission from the parents first, if it is not your baby. Seriously though, babywearing is for anyone. They have slings with patterns for the hipsters out there, and they have solid colors for those who like to keep it neutral. I have a plain black one that Erik coordinates with his hat and shoes. Well, it works out that way at least. And boy does he look cute wearing our cute babies.

Real men wear babies

So why do I like it so much? Well, besides the fact that it keeps my babies close to me, calm, and comforted, its extremely convenient. I can have my hands free to do anything I need. Clean, make a sandwich, browse through department stores but not committing to any purchases, play Xbox with Erik, you know, things I need both hands for. The brand and style of sling I bought even allows for discreet nursing. No peeking! It really is an awesome way to incorporate your baby into your everyday life without having to push an extra stroller around. NO WAY I'm pushing a triple stroller. I draw the line at the double. 

If you want to get into the research about the benefits, there are always resources for that. Just check out Babywearing.org and they have fact sheets and a lot of other information about babywearing. They talk about how babywearing is a skill and the different types of slings or carriers there are. 

So, I just wanted to share this information because I have seen a lot of happy babies snuggled closely to their caregivers and all babies should be happy. I honestly don't even know how I stumbled onto this practice. I was only 20 when I had Luciana but somehow I just KNEW I had to wear her close to me like this. I've been wearing babies ever since.


Look at that face of pure joy

Remember, its not just for infants. Older babies can be worn too. I mean, I'm not wearing Luciana anytime soon, her days of me wearing her are over. Now she's just wearing me OUT!

No comments:

Post a Comment