Tuesday, December 20, 2011

happy birthday, friend

Today, one of my best friends, celebrates her 28th birthday. Happy Birthday, Andrea!

My beautiful friend

Most people who know me personally, know that I have a small tightly-knit group of best friends. All of us have been friends for at least 15 years. We love each others children, tolerate each others boyfriends and husbands (ha!), and respect each others families like they were our own. We have never been a clique, we have always been like a crew, supporting each other the best way we know how.

 
My Crew - c. 2006

The Six of Us - Freshman Year 1999
 
I've known Andrea for about 17 years. Wow, it makes me feel really old to say that. Now that we are adults and have all sorts of responsibilities and lives of our own, we don't get to see each other as much as I'd like. But, we are the kind of friends who always will have that extra special connection. Not just because the amount of time we've known each other (we didn't really like each other at first), but because of all the things we've shared and been through together. Truly, she is like a sister to me. We've grown together, have fallen together, lived together, cried together (way too many times), fought each other (funny story, but totally juvenile and actually pretty innocent), laughed together, and loved each other like sisters for years. You know how sisters are. Sure, we still have our moments that I offend her (I've always called her powder-puff because she's extra sensitive) and she still has her moments that frustrate me (like when I have to call her powder-puff), but we are always there for each other no matter what. Yes, she is always late to everything, even my kids birthday parties...but when it comes down to it, if something ever happens to one of us, we know we can always count on the other person to be there.

A few of us celebrating my 18th birthday in San Felipe, Mexico. Later, Andrea fell off of an ATV. We love to tell that story.

I have so many great memories with her, and even a few I wish I could forget. Starting in Jr. High, we became inseparable. Always spending the night down each others houses, and spending all our free time together. Throughout our youth, we played on more than 10 different softball teams together. Maybe more, I can't remember. We babysat together, we would sneak out of the house together, and we'd break curfew together. I was lucky enough to get a car for my 16th birthday, and she was the constant traveling companion, always riding shotgun and always manning the airwaves for some good tunes. We loved the same music but luckily had different taste in boys.

Andrea is a great person. She will do anything for someone who needs help with something, and she always goes out of her way for people. She's smart, classy, and has a big heart. Everyone who really knows her, knows this.

Me and my pal - age 15
Andrea- I love you, sister. Happy birthday from your ol' sidekick and friend forever. I will ALWAYS be here for you. Take care of yourself, because you deserve so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment